Saturday, October 14, 2006

Flashing


This is the detail at the base of the siding, where we needed bent flashing because our existing walls are set back from the edge of the concrete foundation wall.
**Correction** This z-metal is really not "flashing", although it looks an awful lot like flashing. The real flashing is the tyvek and building paper under it, and the black felt is lapped over that. The z-metal is really there for the siding to die into because our existing walls are set back on the foundation wall (vs. flush in newer construction) Also, the top of our foundation wall is very uneven, bowing up and down, so the z-metal is really there so that our siding can be straight. It's hard to explain but Dugan's got it together and have me convinced!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy, does the paper lap over the flashing at all? Didn't look like it to me from the picture...

Kyl

Wendy said...

That's a really good comment, I'm checking into it right now. I can't believe I didn't catch it - we do usually lap our paper over the flashing.